Mission & Vision
“Farm in the City”
As a well-known and cherished farm landscape, with its cluster of rustic gray barns, large open farm field, and acres of woodlands and wetlands, Pitney Meadows Community Farm, founded in 2016, is taking root and promises vast opportunities for our community for years to come.
We are in the process of creating a unique, new asset for the Saratoga community by carefully executing on our strategic plan designed to take advantage of the farm’s unique location, with frequent input from the community via community forums, and with transparency from our Board to all community members. The full vision will take several years to implement, many volunteer hours, and generous donations from individuals, foundations, and businesses, but we have already made a significant start.
To celebrate and explore agricultural education, healthy food production and recreation on this preserved working farm.
- Operate an organic farm using sustainable agricultural methods to grow food for our community.
- Blend the best traditional agricultural practices with progressive strategies to improve yield, conserve water and improve soil fertility.
- Grow and distribute fresh, organic produce to diverse local populations and customers.
- Operate a community garden that welcomes all gardeners from novice to experienced.
- Provide year-round education programs with special events that teach agriculture, conservation, nutrition, and sustainability.
- Train new farmers and engage them in process of growing new farms and food enterprises.
- Collaborate with other farms and agricultural agencies to conduct on-farm trials and disseminate information.
- Keep wildlife areas and important agricultural viewsheds preserved.
- Practice environmental stewardship through sustainable farming practices.
- Welcome the community to participate in recreational activities.
- Work to build local food security for our community.
- Serve as catalyst for community collaborations, gatherings, and volunteerism.
We are deeply grateful to our visionary government leaders and all of our many supporters, volunteers, and partners who helped complete the initial planning of our Community Farm. Further, we welcome all those who will join us in the future as we realize our shared vision for our "Farm in the City."
Innovation * Collaboration * Inclusiveness * Accountability & Transparency * Honesty & Integrity * Productive and joyful workplace for volunteers, employees, and visitors
Hello Gardeners, I hope you are all safe and well. As you know, we have changed some Community Gardens protocol due to the Covid-19 crisis. We continue to update these...
Never has the idea of a strong local food system been more salient for so many. Community investment in our local farms at this time is essential. We're sharing a...
Dear Supporters and Friends, These are indeed extraordinary times, but our roots go deep at Pitney Meadows. Our community will get through this. And in the coming weeks, standing on...