In 2002, 74% of Saratoga Springs voters looked to the future of their community and voted to establish a five-million-dollar Open Space Fund. The Fund was to be used by the City of Saratoga Springs to protect its most prized open spaces from development. A clear priority with widespread support for protection was the Pitney Farm, a 166-acre parcel that supported one of the last remaining active farms within the City.
• 1862 •
The property had been used for agriculture since it was purchased by Jonathan Pitney in 1862. His descendants and owners until 2015 - William, Kathy, and Judith Pitney - sought to preserve the essential nature of the farm for the community, despite lucrative offers to sell the property for development.
• 2016 •
Thanks to the wisdom of the voters and the generosity of the Pitney family, the community is now assured that the Pitney Farm will be preserved in perpetuity for farming and education. The vision of the partnership between the City and the Pitney family is embodied in a conservation easement made possible by a $1.13 million investment from the Open Space Fund. Fulfilling this vision is the mission of the Pitney Meadows Community Farm, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 2016.
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — Local leaders gathered to talk about tackling hunger in the Capital Region. Ideas on how to solve the hunger crisis were brainstormed during a roundtable discussion...
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — A roundtable discussion on fighting hunger in the Capital Region is scheduled for 4 p.m. Monday, April 8 at 1 Franklin Square. The event is sponsored...
Our monthly newsletter capturing all the latest Farm news. Read volunteer spotlights, learn about new programs, classes, and events, volunteer opportunities and much more. SHARE ON TwitterFacebookGoogle+LinkedIn
SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — Pitney Meadows Community Farm invited guests to gather around the silo on Sunday for a public forum discussing the farm’s future. More than 100 local residents...