2019 has been a transformative year in our gorgeous Community Gardens. Founded in 2016, our small community has grown to over 110 garden plots! An expansion from the original 40 was initiated this spring by an intrepid group of volunteers. Building beds in sometimes frigid temperatures inside our High Tunnel, this group started in March in preparation for the growing season. Our gardeners represent individuals and families from Saratoga to larger organizations such as the Community Health Center, Girl Scouts, Saratoga Bridges, and the Warldorf School. Everyone is welcome in our garden!
2019 Season Highlights:
- Farm to Folk Concert Series - In partnership with legendary local music venue, Caffe Lena, we opened our gardens to hundreds of visitors for nine Sundays in a row for the Farm to Folk Inaugural Concert Series. Check out the line up here!
- Children's Greenhouse - Thanks to a generous donation from the Alfred Z. Solomon Charitable Trust, we erected a new structure in the garden dedicated to educating children about gardening and food. Outfitted with a grant from the Saratoga Springs Rotary Club, hundreds of community children will enjoy programming in this structure for years to come.
- Sunflower Reading Program - We incorporated a generous donation from Northshire Bookstore into our Saturday children's reading program. Volunteer Faye Mihuta read to children in our Sunflower House each Saturday throughout the summer.
- Community Art & Healing Programming - In partnership with CREATE Community Art Studios, we hosted community art projects every month for children to explore nature on the farm and create art from it. We also hosted weekly mindfulness and well-being drop in groups with facilitated activities.
- Garden Classes & Workshops - Education programming open to our gardeners on soil, bugs, extending the growing season, and composting.
- Fairy Garden Expansion - local artist Jess Clauser, expanded her Fairy Garden creation both horizontally and vertically! Installing natural features and plant varieties that climb created several new secret hiding places for children to explore. Read more about Jess and her art here.
- Fairy Fest - Over 600 people gathered on the farm for our 2nd Annual Fairy Fest in September. Fairy Fest brings magic and creativity to our farm, inviting kids to be kids while exploring nature all around them. Volunteers and our local Girl Scout Troops helped to organize a wonderful day of play and imagination for local children.
Our gardens are open to all community members through a lottery system. We welcome your application!
All gardeners commit to 6 hours of volunteer work in the garden/farm during the growing season. Each plot comes with access to water, soil and compost, tools, and knowledge provided by staff.
2020 Application coming soon!
SARATOGA SPRINGS – The Pitney Meadows Community Farm is a local gem. One of the last farms operating in Saratoga Springs, a beautiful green expanse adorned with barns and a...
Tucked away between our Hoop House and beehives, is one of our most important community assets, our beautiful demonstration "Giving Garden." This 55x80' garden has, so far, produced over 2,400...
On Saturday, September 21st, we celebrated two very important milestones on the Farm. We dedicated our brand new Children's Greenhouse, made possible by a generous grant from the Alfred Z...
Harvest season is almost here, Saratoga. And what better way to celebrate it than at the Saratoga Wine & Food Festival? Presented by the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), the two-day...